Thursday, September 19, 2013

7 Reasons to Write (and Publish It)

You can't be a thought leader if you're not generating original content. If all you're doing is sharing, re-tweeting, and re-posting, then you are following, not leading. Without writing, all I can accomplish is to serve as an amplifier for the people with the microphone. And no one goes to their speakers to brainstorm new ideas or ask for advice on a problem. They go to the source.


Pictured: the forward progress made by only reposting.

So why bother being a source? It's a lot of work, especially if it's not your main job. (I'm only just discovering this myself.) Here are five seven reasons why it's worth the extra effort to create original content:


1. It builds credibility. Writing demonstrates that you are learning and integrating the lessons from the other information that you're always tweeting, sharing, and talking about. Anyone can say, "Oh, the Wall Street Journal recommends this communication strategy. I think I'll share that." But it doesn't mean that person is actively implementing those questions. Writing about strategies keeps ideas active in your mind and your life.

2. It gives a preview of you to people who have never met you - how you think, what your priorities are. By reading my blog, you know that I like words, people, and people using words properly. And in future posts, you'll learn that I like musicals, English tea, and a dozen other things. You wouldn't get that if I just peppered you with info-graphics about grammar.

3. It is more personal than only sharing. It's like a commercial versus a friend's recommendation. If a commercial tells you to go eat at Loco's Tacos, you'll soon forget it. If your friend tells you that he just ate at Loco's Tacos and they were the "best tacos in town", you'll think about that the next time you're hungry.

4. You already have ideas. And if you're like me, you might be thinking, "Dang, I wish someone would stop talking about X strategy for just a minute and publish something about Y. Am I the only one who thinks about Y method?" Whether you are the only one or you aren't, you have the ideas--so run with them! Chances are, many people will be glad that you started the conversation.

5. It encourages focus. I have a lot of thoughts: I need more Earl Grey, Dave Kerpen's latest article was spot-on, I want to learn more German. I can't focus on all of these things (which is why I'm not fluent in German and this blog is not about tea). By dedicating myself to blogging about communication, I force myself to specialize in a narrow field of knowledge. This makes me more useful in that field and keeps me from driving myself crazy trying to learn everything.

6. It makes you analyze your ideas. I am a sheepish member of the "It Seemed Like a Good Idea" club. But when I sit down and write about those ideas, the faults become apparent and the strong points stand out. Writing makes me think through the consequences of implementing an idea and my motivations behind promoting it.

7. It improves your communication. Once you read and share information, come up with ideas, focus those ideas, and analyze them, you are well-equipped to talk about them off-the-cuff. The investment of time in writing means that you will have pre-articulated many aspects of what you're promoting, so you will be ready with a clear and thought-out answer whenever anyone asks your opinion.

It all ties to quality communication--speaking in relationship. What conversations would you like to start?

No comments:

Post a Comment